Subscribe to Our Newsletter

We know you love savings. Sign up for more!

Car/Motorcycle Road Tax Expired Over 3 Years! How to Renew?

BY Team Loanstreet

Updated 21 Dec 2022

*This article was translated by Faiz Rahim from "Roadtax Motosikal/Kereta Dah Mati Lebih 3 Tahun! Camne Nak Renew?".

*This article was first written by “Hakimie Amrie”. The content and information on this article might be changed or updated periodically by Team Loanstreet without notice.

You must be thinking, “Shoot, I need to go to PUSPAKOM for the inspection because my road tax has expired over 1 year!”. Well, luckily you don’t have to anymore. 

Since 4 September 2020 kan, the gomen has changed the grace period from 1 year to 3 years. It means that you can proceed to renew as usual if your road tax has expired for not more than not 3 years. Only after you’ve exceeded the 3 years mark, you’ll have to get your car/motorcycle to undergo an inspection from PUSPAKOM.

In case you guys didn’t know, there are a few things that you’ll need to do beforehand. 

What's covered in this article?

Step 1: Book an appointment with PUSPAKOM 

First thing first, you’ll need to send your car/motorcycle to PUSPAKOM office for an inspection. So, just browse their website or you can call to book an appointment. RM20 is a must bring (minimum) for the inspection fee.

If you’re on a budget, try to book the appointment during Raya Aidilfitri or Chinese New Year season (that’s good!). The bad news is that these 2 are the only festive seasons that PUSPAKOM have a promo but what can we do other than to follow their rules (right?). As long can jimat, we good!

Once you’ve booked the appointment, it’s best to ensure your car/motorcycle is clean and in perfect condition. Surely you don’t want to give the PUSPAKOM officer any reason to fail your inspection, right?


Step 2: Get yourself a temporary travel permit

It is defo a public knowledge that driving a car/motorcycle without a valid road tax is considered a traffic offence. If that’s the case, how can you bring your car/motorcycle for inspection at PUSPAKOM? Obvi cannot main redah je.

It’s pretty simple actually, you just need to get the Temporary Travel Permit For Vehicle Inspection Purpose (JPJ K12) at the nearest JPJ office/branch. This document will be considered as your valid road tax but only for a day. So, you can only use it during the inspection day. You can also download the form here.

Besides that, you’ll also need to prepare (1) the original car/motorcycle grant, (2) your identification card and (3) driving license. Please make sure that these documents are still valid because if not, you’re just going to PUSPAKOM for fun!

Step 3: The inspection for your car/motorcycle 

The time has finally come for the PUSPAKOM to inspect your car/motorcycle. You may refer to the process flow below to know more regarding the matter.


Once you’ve registered and paid for the inspection, you’ll have to wait for the PUSPAKOM officer to check the entire car/motorcycle to ensure everything works as it should be (the signal lights, the bumper etc) and within the law. If all is well, you’ll get the full inspection report on the same day which will be valid for a month (yay, it means you’ve passed!). Do make sure to renew your road tax & car insurance/motorcycle insurance during this period. 

*Full inspection report from PUSPAKOM

However, what would happen if you’ve failed the inspection? Well, you’ll have to do another inspection again. It’s just you’ll need to solve every defect that has been pointed out in the first inspection before the second one, including any unlawful modifications (engines, tinted car windows etc.) that you might have installed in your car/motorcycle. Ya lah, obvi your car/motorcycle needs to follow the guideline.


Step 4:  Renew your road tax & car insurance/motorcycle insurance

Once everything is settled, you can proceed with renewing your road tax & car insurance/motorcycle insurance. But, how do you settle both? Can you renew them both in one go, or do they require two separate processes?

Firstly, you should note that road tax renewal can only be done through JPJ if your vehicles are PUSPAKOM inspected. So, get that done before renewing your car insurance/motorcycle insurance with Loanstreet. 

You may even refer to this step-by-step guide in renewing online with Loanstreet: NO TIME? Purchase/Renew Motorcycle Insurance & Road Tax Online Now!

After you have finished filling up all of your info and made the payment, Loanstreet will send you an email for you to reply. You’ll have to attach a few documents such as the car/motorcycle grant, previous cover note and the full report from PUSPAKOM.

*Email sample from Loanstreet

In short lah kan, you can renew your car insurance/motorcycle insurance online but must go through JPJ for road tax renewal on PUSPAKOM inspected vehicles. Admin guarantees that it’ll be quick and easy as it’ll just take 5 minutes. Have fun renewing!



*The above article is intended for informational purposes only. Loanstreet accepts no responsibility for loss that may arise from reliance on information contained in the articles.

Continue reading...

About the Author

Team Loanstreet

Run by a professional human-sized team, get resourceful tips & guides from our very own library of financial articles that can help improve your financial lifestyle & make a well-informed money decision. We strive to provide you with the best service in helping you to get the most out of that DUIT!


Suggested Articles

Accident With a Police Car. Can Claim Insurance or Not?

Accident With a Police Car. Can Claim Insurance or Not?

Why Your Motor Insurance Claim Might Get Rejected

4 Reasons Your Motor Insurance Claim Got Rejected

What Happens To Your Assets If You "GO" Without Leaving a Will?

What Happens To Your Assets If You "GO" Without Leaving a Will?