Subscribe to Our Newsletter

We know you love savings. Sign up for more!

Got Hit by an Uninsured Vehicle. How to Claim Insurance?

BY Nisya Aziz

Updated 15 Feb 2023

Follow Loanstreet on Facebook & Instagram for the latest updates.

It’s a good day. You’re listening to your favourite song and driving in peace on a crowded road - that’s rare. Then suddenly… BAM! Your car is kissed by another car from behind. Not only that, but you’re also injured because of it.  

Now, if the car that hit your car has valid insurance, you can settle it like usual - make a Third Party Bodily Injury (TPBI) claim against the insurance company of that car. BUT, what if the driver caused the accident is either uninsured or has no third-party insurance coverage? What steps should you take? Who do you claim from? 

Yes, you can sue the driver personally. The court will order the driver to pay the expenses for your losses out of his pocket. But, what if the person couldn’t afford it? And not to mention, hiring a lawyer is costly and the process may be time-consuming. So, what then?

What's covered in this article?

Fret not, you might be able to seek assistance from the MIB

No, we’re not talking about Men in Black, but Motor Insurers’ Bureau of West Malaysia instead.

Not sure why MIB isn’t well known, but its service is available to ALL Malaysians - including people in the Sabah and Sarawak. 

Established in 1968 from an agreement made by the Minister of Transport of Malaysia, the general insurance companies of Malaysia and the Bureau itself to provide injured road accident victims (whether as a driver, passenger or pedestrian) with money in case the other motor vehicle has no insurance.

Okay, so how to claim from MIB?

To claim, you’ll need to prepare below documents to be sent to the MIB:
  • A letter to MIB with a detailed description of the accident e.g. date and place of the accident, reasons to claim etc.
  • A police report (with the license plate number of the accountable vehicle, if not, can’t claim k)
  • A police report by the third-party's vehicle driver (if applicable/available), and
  • Your medical report.
  • Send the documents to:
Motor Insurers' Bureau of West Malaysia
Wisma Piam
No 150-3, 3rd Floor
Jalan Tun Sambanthan, Brickfields
50782 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-2274 7395
Fax: 03-2274 5910

But before that, below are IMPORTANT things TO TAKE NOTE:

  • If you submit the claim directly to MIB yourself, you’ll need to do it within three years of the accident date.
  • If you hire a lawyer to file a lawsuit, they’ll need to inform MIB within 30 days of the lawsuit date.
  • You MUST know the license plate number of the accountable vehicle as MIB doesn’t cover hit and run cases anymore.
  • MIB only covers your injuries (e.g. abrasions, bone fractures) caused by the accident. Vehicle/property damages, loss of income and the like are not covered.
  • The amount of payment given is on a compassionate basis and is subject to MIB's discretion.
  • MIB will request an RM100 fee for them to conduct their investigation on your accident.

Another you want to take note is that since MIB may occasionally change its internal policy, the process may take a longer time. So we advise that you follow up with them every month - be prepared, mentally.

Also, you may want to avoid ‘settle luar’ because there are a lot of cases where the person that was supposed to be accountable cabut lari and you don’t deserve this kind of headache.

Drive safe, people!

Still hasn’t renewed vehicle insurance? What are you waiting for? 

Please lah, don’t give other people unnecessary stress k. If you own a vehicle, you should know that you need to buy a motor insurance policy with a valid road tax before driving. Or do you prefer to be charged under Section 26 of the Road Transport Act 1987 with a maximum penalty of 3 years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to RM1,000? That’s your call.

To those who want to renew their car or motorcycle insurance AND road tax, you can do so via Loanstreet. It’s easy and fast! 

*The above article is intended for informational purposes only. Loanstreet accepts no responsibility for loss that may arise from reliance on information contained in the articles.

Continue reading...

About the Author

Nisya Aziz

A storyteller at Finology, who drinks coffee like its water, Nisya enjoy bringing valuable, educational and entertaining content to others. When not busy crafting content, you’ll find her in the boulder gym or on stage, performing theatre shows.


Suggested Articles

Is Your Car Damaged In A Riot? Here’s What You Need To Do

Car Damaged in a Riot? Here’s What You Need to Do

7 Ways For You to Save Money on Car Insurance

7 Ways For You to Save Money on Car Insurance

Accident With a Police Car. Can Claim Insurance or Not?

Accident With a Police Car. Can Claim Insurance or Not?