Subscribe to Our Newsletter

We know you love savings. Sign up for more!

M'sians, Here Are 7 Countries That Need a Visa to Visit!

Updated 29 Apr 2022 – By Loanstreet

Although the Malaysian passport is pretty awesome in that it provides visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 166 countries and territories (ranked 9th in the world!), there are still a number of countries that require advanced visa application.
Here's some necessary information beyond just popular countries that Malaysians go to which require a visa, and also some tips in case you’re travelling to Thailand or Maldives anytime soon (Yes, you need to know these tips even if Thailand and Maldives don’t require advanced visa application!).

1. China (Visa)

What do I need to know?
  • There is no online visa application, only offline. So head over to the “Chinese Visa Application Service Centre” at Hampshire Place, Kuala Lumpur.
  • It's advisable to fill up the form as well as make the appointment online to avoid the crazy queues. For more helpful tips can be found via Google Reviews here
How do I apply?
Start your step-by-step Chinese visa application here whether you’re filling the form online or offline.


2. India (eVisa)

What do I need to know?
  • Avoid fake websites. The Indian High Commission website warns against fake websites purporting to promote the visa application with additional service fees. To protect yourself, it is best to apply directly via the Indian government website if you’d like to apply online.
  • The online application still needs to be submitted offline. After successful submission of your online visa application form, you are required to submit the printout of the form along with supporting documents and fees at one of the Indian Visa Application Centers (IVAC). Find out the addresses here.
  • Check visa validity. Your India travel visa validity is 60 days from the date of arrival in India.
  • Visa application processing period. It typically takes no more than 3 days to process the visa application for Malaysians.
How do I apply?
Apply for your eVisa to India here via the official Indian government website, after which, an offline submission of the printouts at any IVAC is required.


3. Australia (Electronic Travel Authority)

What do I need to know?
  • Malaysians use the ETA, and it’s better than a visa. As mentioned earlier, we indeed have one of the best passports in the world, so Malaysians qualify to apply for the Electronic Travel Authority (ETA), equivalent to a travel visa - just much better. One simple difference is that it allows you to visit Australia as many times as you want up to one year, and up to three months for each visit. How awesome is that?
  • Do not book flights/accommodation before your ETA is approved. Yup, or risk burning your flights and accommodation if your application is rejected.
  • Beware of ETA work scams. The ETA is not a working pass to work in Australia. If anyone tells you that you can work in Australia using an ETA, they’re lying to you. Business visitor trips, however, are allowed. To find out more about Australian visa scams, check out the Australian High Commission article about it here.
How to apply?
Apply for your ETA to Australia here via the Australian Government website. If you’re not eligible for online application, for example, because you don’t have a credit card, find out other options at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC), operated by the Australian High Commission’s service delivery partner, VFS Global.


4. Sri Lanka (eVisa)

What do I need to know?
  • The ETA to Sri Lanka is valid for 30 days for those travelling for sightseeing, visiting friends and families, as well as medical treatments, and costs around US$55.
  • Payments must be made via the Official ETA site. Although there are third parties you may apply the ETA from, only payments made through are accepted.
  • ETA application processing period typically takes between 2-4 business days to process for Malaysians.
  • You are required to have passport validity of not less than 6 months from your date of arrival which is standard, a confirmed return ticket, and sufficient cash to meet your stay expenses.
How do I apply?
Apply for your ETA to Sri Lanka here via the official ETA System by the Sri Lankan Immigration & Emigration website.


5. United States

What do I need to know?
  • Your visa is called the “nonimmigrant visa”. Malaysians would need to go through a detailed visa application process to enter. Follow through the steps found at this website, linked with the U.S. Embassy and once you’re done with the steps, you’d need to schedule an appointment for your interview at the U.S. Embassy at Jalan Tun Razak, Kuala Lumpur.
  • To book your visa appointment, you must keep your receipt number after payment. Read the details here.
How do I apply?
Apply for your visa to the U.S. Embassy at the same link above.

6. Maldives (Visa on arrival but…)

What do I need to know?
The Republic of Maldives requires 3 things from you on your arrival. Although the Maldives provides a 30-day visa-on-arrival for Malaysian passports (this means you don’t need to apply  for a travel visa in advance!), however, the Maldives immigration requires travellers to:
  • Possess a valid passport
  • Possess a valid ticket to journey out of Maldives
  • Have enough cash to cover the expenses for your stay (US$100 + US$50 per day) OR confirmation of your hotel/resort reservation.

7. Thailand (Visa on arrival but…)

What do I need to know?
As Malaysians, you're permitted to stay in Thailand up to 30 days if entering via the international airport and up to 15 days if entering through a land border checkpoint from a neighbouring country (Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia) under the Visa Exemption Rule. You also need to make sure you have the things below to enter the country:  
  • A valid passport. You'll need a passport valid for at least 6 months following your departure date. It is also recommended that your valid passport have at least 2 remaining unused pages for any necessary entry and exit stamps that may be issued.
  • A confirmed travel itinerary.
  • Proof of accommodation and funds of at least THB 10,000 per person and THB 20,000 per family.

Always Be Prepared!

There you have it - some other possible circumstances to be aware of are travel mishaps, such as flight cancellation or a medical emergency that requires you to be evacuated. If you don't have existing travel insurance, you’re not only required to pay for your medical fees, but the evacuation (via a helicopter if you’re on a romantic island without hospital!) fees can be really, really expensive, compared to the negligible cost of travel insurance.

If you’re considering purchasing your own travel insurance ahead of your next holiday at an affordable cost, click here or the image above. It'll only take 5 minutes!
Continue reading...

Suggested Articles

RON 97 Increases Your Engine Performance. Truth or Myth?

Latest Petrol Price Update RON95, RON97 & Diesel in Malaysia

4 Things You Need to Know About RM150 ePemula

4 Things You Need to Know About RM150 ePemula

11 Ramadan Buffets 2022 Below RM70 in Klang Valley

11 Ramadan Buffets 2022 Below RM70 in Klang Valley